Prep 15 Min
Cook 35 Min
Total 50 Min
For 4 servings
8 ounces elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups half-and-half (or whole milk)
2 cups/8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 (4-ounce) can jalapeño peppers (chopped)
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1 cup fresh fine breadcrumbs
1 (5-ounce) package Cream Cheese
- Pre heat oven to 350 F and Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain and rinse; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the cheese and peppers. Continue cooking until the cheese has melted, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper and thin slightly with extra milk if necessary.
- Combine the sauce with the pasta and stir to blend. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Toss melted butter and bread crumbs together until the crumbs are thoroughly coated; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.